New to GIS in Education?
- Sign up for a powerful FREE ArcGIS Online Organization Account here!
- Getting Started with Online GIS for Educators: A sequenced set of resources and activities from the Esri Education Team for those interested in teaching with GIS.
- Everything K12 GIS: Includes instructional documents, blogs, videos of students using GIS, career highlights, and more.
Examples of Lessons to Modify and Data to Mine
- Educational Resources: Resource Collections for Schools, Higher Education, Project Based Learning, and Supporting Materials. Includes links to curriculum, instructional activities and more.
- Instructional Materials: A variety of subject-focused, standards-based instructional materials is available to enhance inquiry-based learning with students. All activities are free and completely online. The instructional materials require no installations or logins and are device neutral.
- More about GeoInquiries: The additional power of GeoInquiries is mixing and matching the maps and data layers from multiple collections. The GeoInquiry tables of contents are located on this one page to enable easy and quick access to all GeoInquiry activities and maps.
- Customizing GeoInquiries: Wiki-style pages to help classroom instructors move beyond the “out-of-the-box” Esri GeoInquiries, customizing the maps and activities to their needs.
- All items from Esri GeoInquiry Environmental Science
- All items from Mapping Our World
- All items from Esri GeoInquiry History
- All items from Esri GeoInquiry AP Human Geography
- All items from Esri GeoInquiry Grade 4
- Creating-a-Simple-Editable-Feature-Service (pdf) Creating-a-Simple-Editable-Feature-Service(docx)
- Creating a Survey in Survey 123
- ArcGIS Online Task Card Videos
- AGOL data buckets
Teaching and Learning Resources
- LDC Task Templates for Writing – The Literacy Design Collaborative. Downloadable resources, including rubrics for scoring student written arguments.
- Ambitious Science Teaching – NSF-funded project from the University of Washington. Tools to support students of all backgrounds to deeply understand science ideas, participate in the activities of the discipline, and solve authentic problems.
- Talk Science TERC – NSF-funded project from TERC. Classroom videos and resources to help teachers foster students’ academically productive talk.
Esri Resources for ArcGIS Online and Tutorials
- ArcGIS Book, is available in several formats. Anyone may download the interactive PDF (no charge).
- GIS Dictionary: Definitions for GIS terms related to operations such as analysis, GIS modeling and web-based GIS, cartography, and Esri software.
- Learn ArcGIS: guided lessons on real world issues.
- Get to Know GIS (For Secondary Students): Work with ArcGIS Online to interact with GIS maps, explore real world problems, and tell a story. Find out how workers use GIS and what it takes to become a GIS professional.
The Power of Data (POD) Project has been recognized by Change the Equation as an Accomplished STEMworks Program that makes a real impact on students. Our professional learning programs enable secondary teachers to utilize geospatial technologies (GST) within authentic STEM projects to increase 6-12 grade students’ 21st century skills, GST and STEM career awareness.